Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bummer Dude

Up late, going to bed soon...relaxing a bit.

Walked across the living room floor about 7 pm tonight. Shianne was making everyone's favorite...mac and cheese. I wanted something else and decided to be healthier, so made a spinach salad. Since we weren't sitting down for a formal dinner (Brandy wasn't feeling well, part of the reason, Mom was tired so Shi was cooking, another part) I decided, in all my wisdom, to sit at the computer and check my mail while I ate.

The kids were playing very nicely right in my path with a bunch of toys. They played together so great today.

I stepped between the toys while looking at my salad, apparently.

I stepped on one.

My ankle twisted to the side. I couldn't catch myself. The salad flew. Going down I heard a "pop."

Brandy said I screamed. I remember saying, "Brandy, get over here! It's bad."

It burned.

I hoped I was being a wus (don't know how to spell that). Doubted it cuz I usually have a pretty high pain tolerance. But hoped.

I cried. I called out to God.

This can't happen, Lord!! Please, God!

Brandy got a pillow to put under it. It was hurting worse and worse.

My kids were scared. Shianne and Sierra said they'd never seen Mom cry before. I do cry. Just not in front of them, apparently.

Svanna hurt. She cried.

I got braver. I smiled. I gave them hugs (from the floor). I said Mom was ok.

Still upset, but ok. Not sure if I cried because of the pain--that was part of it--or because I can't be laid up. I have 7 kids 10 and under. They need me.

Decided we needed to go in to the ER. A friend came over for a bit (thanks, Sara!!) and then Brandy's folks came to watch the kids.

It hurt like crazy while we were there. Still hoping it really wasn't that bad. Never even sprained my ankle before, so maybe that was it. Was starting to swell, but not too bad.

X-rays.

Broken ankle. Two places. Separated ligament. Surgery tomorrow.

I cried.

I let myself feel sorry for myself for a bit. Brandy tried to encourage me, and I said, give me a minute. I need to cry. After I few minutes I said, ok, now tell me it's gonna be ok.

They stabilized it. That hurt. On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being giving birth naturally...we were pretty close to 10.

But then the gave me a shot of something really good. I'm doing ok now. Gave me some drugs, too.

God has a plan. He's not sharing it with me yet. Hope He will someday. Resting in the fact that He's in control. Already talked with 3 friends on the phone who all prayed with me. God is good.

Update after surgery!

13 comments:

patty said...

Praying for you all!

Miriam said...

Aw, Carey, that stinks! Let us know how surgery goes...

Jennifer said...

Oh man Carey! I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray the surgery goes well, and even if you have limited mobility, that it's still enough to get you around semi-normal.

You're right: Bummer dude!

Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Jinglebritches said...

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!
Praying for you today.
Wish I could be there to help.
Keep us posted if you can.

Love you to pieces!!!

Toot says "I hope you get better,I love you so mudh!"

Bebo says "I will pray for you"

Barb P. said...

Praying for you!! Hugs from MN. He will get you through this too!!

Sara said...

Thanks for calling last night! Sorry the ending wasn't what we were praying for - but God is in control! Praying for a speedy recovery!

Mom2Bs said...

Hokey petes! You have quite a story of your past 7 weeks! Praying that all goes well! Stay strong and know others are praying for you!

Karen said...

Carrie, I am so sorry that this happened to you! I am praying for you.

Whitty's Four said...

I am so sorry. Please know you are in my prayers. O my gosh girl,you poor thing!!!
Hang in there.
Karen Whitt

one happy family said...

You are a strong and amazing Woman, I will be thinking of you and sending you all my good Mama energy.

Anonymous said...

I called, but your phone was off... go figure, I wonder why?

I prayed all day. I hope you will have a quick recovery. We are praying for all of you.

I wish I could come farm your land! I would love it!

Cindy said...

Oh, Carey! I am so very sorry to hear about this! Sometimes it is so difficult to understand the Lord's plan for our life when it certainly isn't our own plan. We have talked about that and I know so well. I will pray that you are doing well and the recovery goes quickly. I really wish that I could offer to help you in some way! I would love to come over and do laundry or do some cooking for you and would do it in a heartbeat if I was doing better! Believe it or not, my 5th surgery (in 6 months)is scheduled for June 1. So I guess I am not in the best shape to help yet, but know that my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Cindy

Heather said...

I read this yesterday, got really welled up and couldn't reply. Tried again today -- same thing -- totally teary here. I can imagine your desperate need to be 100%. Praying for swift healing and spiriual endurance, friend.